Monday, March 17, 2014

It's Muse Monday!



I'm just going to say it: MONDAYS=CRAP. The weekend is over, we're back to work/school, and we're still trying to hold on to the residual fun-high we had from Friday to Sunday. So, originally this post was going to be all about Mondays and how they suck.

But that's depressing. And I don't like to depress you guys. Unless you're one of my readers--that's a totally different story. I like tears when people read my work.




So I've decided that Monday is going to be all about a wonderful thing we writers/artists call muse. And thus, Muse Monday was born...

Muse is a pretty cool guy. He resides within many things. Sometimes he's a thought. Other times hes a great line in a book. One time he was a cat with three legs, but I'll spare you the odd deets on that one.

Muse is inspiration. It gets our fingers to type with enthusiasm and vigor so that we may completely immerse ourselves in our stories. It's what makes writing FUN.

So today, I'm going to share with you my special muse that helped me when I was writing my YA Historical novel: Gilded Fever. (If you would like to know more information about Gilded Fever such as its pitch and an excerpt, click HERE.)

Gilded Fever takes place in 19th century America during the California Gold Rush. There's lots of action, grief, mystery, and forbidden beliefs. Savages, murder, and, of course for you girls out there, a hot Indian dude with mystic abilities to turn things into solid gold with his touch. Among other things.

As I said above, a muse can come in many different forms. For about the halfway-mark for Gilded Fever, my muse came in the form of a bowl.

But not just any kind of bowl. Take a look for yourself:


It's a bowl of gold. Basically, the coolest bowl ever. 

Look. Look at it. Bask in its golden glory!

Actually, those flakes of pretty aren't actually made of real gold. It's Fool's Gold, to be precise, with a bit of mica. But you know what? That's not the coolest part. You know what is?

Get ready for it...

It's a bowl...made of clay...from a Californian Indian reserve. 



It basically describes my entire book. And I'm sure you could use it as a weapon if you wanted to, to satisfy the 'murder' aspect of the novel as well.

There's another plus to this little piece of beauty: It was made by one of my best friends :). Her name is TJ, and you should, like, totally follow her on Twitter. Or I will bash you in the head with my bowl of gold.

***

So what's been your muse this week? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm gonna leave you guys now to go play with my bowl of gold. Later!





No comments:

Post a Comment